Dave is back to answer YOUR Disney questions. What to do about a character meal, and how far in advance to book? Popcorn at Epcot? (and my own home recipe, see below) Where to get discounted tickets? How is it taking 5 people into the parks?
Plus, Surprise in the Skies, and taking a little one on their first trip, and Universal is a "big kid park"
Surprise in the skies:
My Disney-style popcorn:
2 Tbsp canola, 1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/3 cup of high quality popcorn kernels
1 3-quart covered saucepan
Flavacol or similar
- Heat the oil in a 3-quart saucepan on medium high heat.
- Put a few popcorn kernels into the oil and cover the pan.
- When the kernels pop, add the rest of the 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in an even layer. Cover, remove from heat and count 30 seconds.
- Return the pan to the heat. The popcorn should begin popping soon, and all at once. Once the popping starts in earnest, gently shake the pan by moving it back and forth over the burner. If you keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam from the popcorn release, the popcorn will be cripser.
- Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid, and dump the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl.
- Add Flavacol (you want to lightly coat all kernels)
But please, please be careful as you are using oil and heat!